How to make friends with your I.T. guy or gal!Have you had to call your company’s I.T. help-line before?
Does the genius who answers the phone ever seem annoyed with you or your problem?
Computers are necessary to almost everything we do, especially at work. When our computers are on the fritz we tend to get stressed or frustrated. Then we take it out on the I.T. staff, or so-called “Computer Geeks.” It’s really helpful to keep these “Geeks” on your side, because they’re generally the experts at solving problems for you!
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when communicating with I.T. staff:
- Try to remain calm. If you say mean or negative things to the I.T. guy or gal, they may not be as quick to help you.
- Make sure your power is working. If your computer and monitor come on, but you can’t type or move the cursor around, you may just need to replace the batteries in your wireless mouse and keyboard.
- Try to be specific when describing the problem. If you say “My computer’s not working,” that doesn’t really help them know what the issue is. A few better examples might be: “My computer won’t turn on.” “My screen goes black ten minutes after I restart.” or “It’s making an odd noise and it smells hot.”
- If you receive an error message, write it down and share it with your technician.
- Make note of when the problem started. Does it occur every time you open a specific program? Try to indicate when it happens and how often.
- If you’ve been having issues with your computer or printer, try to contact I.T. soon and don’t wait until you’re in a time crunch.
- Remember to say “Thank You” and show your appreciation. Many I.T. workers feel blamed for problems that are out of their control.
We’re so lucky to have Drew Bedsole on our team. Drew is highly skilled at repairing computer problems and custom computer builds to meet your business needs.
Whether you have a computer or printer issue, we can help you troubleshoot and decide the best course of action. Don’t hesitate to call us today, because we’re the friendliest place for computer repair Ann Arbor has to offer.